Module 1, Unit 1 on Textbook 8b of NSE
Module 1 How to learn English (well)
Unit 1 Try not to translate every word. (Period One)
A teaching plan
Ⅰ Analysis of the text:
Lessons in the first module are about learning English and learning to understand and giving advice on how to do sth. The first class is about what to do in English classes, and how to deal with English every day. Learn more about verbs.
Ⅱ Analysis of the students:
The students have come to grade 8 and it is the period for them to get well along with the English study or fall behind others. So good learning methods are very useful and necessary for them to understand and learn. ESP, the way of giving advice on how to do sth.
Ⅲ Arrangement of teaching in this module :
Three periods for this module, one period for unit one, two periods for unit two, two periods for the third unit and one extra lesson for a module quiz.
Ⅳ Teaching aims:
1. Language knowledge:
1) The students will be able to read all the new words and ways of giving advice.
2) The students will be able to understand and learn to use the dialogues of giving others advice.
2. Language skills:
1) Understand and give others the ways of giving advice.
2) The students will be able to imitate to make similar dialogues. (making new friends, learning to swim)
3) Communicate with partners with the using way of the verbs.
3. Affections and attitudes:
Motivate students’ help each other out of the troubles by showing or communicating with others about their problems
Learn to learn and remember some good ways of English learning by listening and using the ways of talking in class.
Ⅴ Teaching focus:
1. Reading and remembering new words.
2. Speaking by asking for and giving others advice.
(3. Communicate with others with their problems. )
Ⅵ Teaching methods:
Interactive approach, bottom up approach.
Ⅶ Teaching aids
Tape recorder, ppt, work sheet.
Ⅷ Teaching steps:
Step 1: Story time or show time.
Number one student in each class.
Step 2: Lead in
Work sheet for them to learn new words and preview . Show on the ppt
A. reading B. grammar C. listening D. speaking
( )1. “I had” instead of “I have” when it’s in the past time.
( )2. Listen to English programmes every day.
( )3. Reading English newspapers or magazines is very important for us all.
( )4. Don’t be shy to speak to your foreign teacher.
( )5. Keeping writing English diaries every day will help you a lot.
T: Class, I need your help now. I can’t find my cell phone. Can you give me any information on how you usually find things?
Ss: on your desk?
T: Oh, you mean it is on my desk? Please advise me Is it on your desk.
……get them to say again with: Is it on your desk?
Ss: Is it in your bag?
T: No, I have looked at it. No, there isn’t.
Ss: Is it in your family?
T: Oh, you mean I can ask my family. Please say why not ask your husband? He may know.
……get them to say again with: How about looking at your bag?
T writes the starting parts on the blackboard. Have the ss read the phrases after me.
Step 4 Practising:
T : I can’t swim. How many students in our class can swim? Can you teach me how to swim?
SS: jump into the water, use your arms,
(get them to start with the giving phrase from the bb )
(why don’t you do…?
You should do….
It’s a good idea to do …
How about doing sth.
Try (not ) to do sth.)
Thanks very much. I think I have enough ways of learning to swim. Next time when I go to the swimming pool, I will jump into the water and think about your advice, if I die, I will come to you.)
Step 5: Reading.
1) New words: open books to P181. read and know the new words. (尤其是较难的发音以及单词重音)
2) Read and repeat after the teacher.
3) Read by yourselves and ask the difficulty ones.
1) Put them into different groups. P2 A1
Match the words with the headings
2) Check answers.
3) Have them read the words according to the blank.
4) Read and repeat the words in A2.
Step7: Listening and answer. (books closed)
1) Questions on the ppt:
Who is coming to China this term in Lingling’s class?
2) Play the tape and have them listen.
3) Check answer. (lingling’s pen friend)
Step 8: Reading
Q1: How many pieces of advice they have on how to learn English?
Q2: How to start to give advice? Underline the sentences in your text book.
<count, underline, look for,调动学生积极性，动手游戏式的学生，引导学生从整体上把注意力调整到细节。让学生迅速抓住文中重点与难点，留下深刻印象并初步开始记忆。>
Check answers repeat their ways of giving advice.
(Read according to the roles.)<得在时间允许的情况下。>
Step 9 : Consolidation
1) We learnt how to learn English.
2) Try to communicate with your partner:
1) Recite and dictate new words in unit one.
2) Work sheet.
3) For most of students, ask them to recite the dialogues in Activity 3 to : try not to translate every word.
For some bottom ss, ask them to read the whole text three times.
M1: How to learn English (well)
U1: Try not to translate every word.
Key points: Key structure:
translate, How about doing…?
correct, Why don’t you do…?
grammar, You should do….
pronunciation, Try (not) to do sth.
try to do,
Ⅸ Work sheet:
Class: ___________name: ___________number:___________
Ⅰ: copy these phrases twice, write down their Chinese meaning beside them.
How about doing sth…. :
Why don’t you do….:
Why not do sth…..:
You should do sth….:
Try (not) to do sth…..:
Don’t forget to do sth….:
Remember to do sth….:
It’s a good idea to do sth….:
Ⅱ: Change the sentence structure according to the words.
1． Try to remember 8 words every day.(按下列要求，把句子改成同义句)
A: It’s a ________________________________________________.
B: How about ___________________________________________?
C: Don’t forget __________________________________________.
D: You should ___________________________________________.
E: Why __________________________________________________?
2 You should check your spelling with a dictionary. ( why don’t)
3 How about reading an English newspaper every day? ( Why not)
4. Why don’t you listen to English radio programmes to improve your listening?(should)
5. please write the words down in your notebook.(改为否定句)
Ⅸ Teaching introspection:
1: Try to make my class lively and interesting . :Try to talk about topic what they like. Try to make ss have words to say.
2: After teaching this lesson, I should always get them to think about their English learning: do I learn English in the right way? Is my learning way effective? Not only teaching their knowledge but also learning skills and tactics.
Liuyuehua August30 ,2010